I don’t often cook out of cookbooks, and on the rare occasion that I do, I tend to use the directions as suggestions. However, when I received my copy of Paleo Soups and Stews by Chef Simone I realized I needed to follow her directions to a tee because she is a PRO. I made the Spicy Shrimp and Chorizo Soup recipe and it ah-mazing. A little more involved than the traditional Mexican soups I am used to making (check them out here and here), but worth the effort.
This post will serve multiple purposes, I will be sharing the Spicy Shrimp and Chorizo Soup recipe which you should make asap, I will give you some highlights of Paleo Soups and Stews and lastly I will be hosting a giveaway! Leave a comment at the bottom of this post for a chance to win a copy of Paleo Soups and Stews!
Paleo Soups and Stews couldn’t have been released at a better time of the year. The days are getting shorter and the cold weather is coming in regularly as well as the sniffles, colds and flus. Soups are comforting and nutrient dense which will help keep your immune system strong through the seasons, especially when prepared properly with high quality ingredients and most importantly – broth!
In Paleo Soups and Stews, Chef Simone teaches you everything you need to know to make the perfect soup. Regardless of you expertise in the kitchen, beginners through experts alike – you will find this cookbook very useful. It’s the perfect resource to keep in your home library for sure. Here are some more highlights…
- 100+ recipes including, broths, warm soups, cold soups, toppings and grain free breads!
- beautiful pictures so you know what your soup should look like
- soup making techniques, how to season to taste, various cooking terms, tools and equipment, and how to use the book
- detailed and easy to understand directions
- Complete resource including a shopping guide, seasonal soup index, special diet index for AIP, lower carb, egg free and nut free options
You can get Paleo Soups and Stews on amazon for 44% off! Get it here.
Make sure you enter the giveaway and tell all your friends about it! The rules are simple, all you have to do is leave a comment at the bottom of this post! I will announce the winner in 1 week – Sunday, November 6, 2016.
Keep scrolling to get the Spicy Shrimp and Chorizo Soup recipe….
Spicy Shrimp and Chorizo Soup Recipe
Yield: 4-6 servings | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Stovetop: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tablespoon avocado oil, divided (order here)
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 3 celery ribs, cut into small dice
- 1 red, orange, or yellow belle pepper, cut into small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 12 ounces Spanish style dry cured chorizo, cut into small dice, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika (order here)
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander (order here)
- 1 teaspoon salt (order here)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 2 pounds fresh tomatoes (order here)
- 1 quart Shrimp Cilantro Broth or Chicken Broth
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic, three quarter of the chorizo, tomato paste, smoked paprika, coriander, and salt and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until very fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes to cook the raw taste out.
- Add the broth and being to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat the remaining teaspoon of oil over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the remaining chorizo and cook for 5 minutes, or under crispy. Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Taste the soup and add additional smoked paprika, coriander and salt if needed. Add the shrimp and simmer until just cooked through, 3 – 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the minced cilantro, and serve topped with the crispy chorizo, avocado, and chopped cilantro.
Want more soup recipes? Here are some of my most popular recipes…